In a word, The Dean’s List are “different.” Different from who? From everybody. Whether they’re sampling country-popsters The Band Perry or titling their latest promo single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) “Caveman” despite a nearly complete lack of caveman-related material, Sonny Shotz, Mendoza and Mik Beatz can be counted on to try sh*t that would never even occur to your average hip-hop act. While Cro Magnon listeners – you know, the ones with Internet connections - may be disappointed to receive only a cursory shout-out (”I’m a caveman, f*ck I need a pen for?”), the rest will undoubtedly enjoy the creativity and attitude on display. Backed by his crewmates’ pop-appealing synth-string boardwork, rapper Shotz affirms the the crew’s commitment to artistic integrity, emphasizing that they’re not about to let a major deal cramp their style. Singer/songwriter Dani Ummel drives the point home, cutting through the “label bullsh*t” on her alt-rock-informed hook. Though this joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it, can of course, keep it locked for all that latest from these bold and unconventional up-and-comers.
Written by richard on 03/15/11
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)