In a word, The Dean’s List are “different.” Different from who? From everybody. Whether they’re sampling country-popsters The Band Perry or titling their latest promo single (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!) “Caveman” despite a nearly complete lack of caveman-related material, Sonny Shotz, Mendoza and Mik Beatz can be counted on to try sh*t that would never even occur to your average hip-hop act. While Cro Magnon listeners – you know, the ones with Internet connections - may be disappointed to receive only a cursory shout-out (”I’m a caveman, f*ck I need a pen for?”), the rest will undoubtedly enjoy the creativity and attitude on display. Backed by his crewmates’ pop-appealing synth-string boardwork, rapper Shotz affirms the the crew’s commitment to artistic integrity, emphasizing that they’re not about to let a major deal cramp their style. Singer/songwriter Dani Ummel drives the point home, cutting through the “label bullsh*t” on her alt-rock-informed hook. Though this joint isn’t attached to any forthcoming project, those digging it, can of course, keep it locked for all that latest from these bold and unconventional up-and-comers.
Written by richard on 03/15/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.