Dean Swift‘s first Booth feature, The Brief, found the emcee harking back to his ‘hood beginnings as he tutored a young hustler on the art of street survival. On follow-up Rearview Mirror (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), ironically enough, the Boston representative fast-forwards to his present, enjoying the fruits of his labors while keeping his gaze fixed squarely on the road that lies ahead. Beatsmith and hookman Mike Irish keeps it slow-burning and ambient on the production tip, layering nocturnal synths over a sedate 4/8 percussion rhythm that nonetheless suggests forward momentum, and Swift matches the instrumental’s mood with meditative yet driven rhymes, striking a balance between exultant stunting (”Fresh on the scene, crisp and clean / Spent about 200 on some brand new jeans.”) and earnest prophecies of his future greatness: “If you couldn’t tell, this is history in the making” Like what you’re hearing? Then keep it locked for one more world premiere leading up to the August 23, release of Swift’s Booth-hosted mixtape, The Low Pro.
Written by richard on 08/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Brief" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.