Dean Swift‘s first Booth feature, The Brief, found the emcee harking back to his ‘hood beginnings as he tutored a young hustler on the art of street survival. On follow-up Rearview Mirror (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), ironically enough, the Boston representative fast-forwards to his present, enjoying the fruits of his labors while keeping his gaze fixed squarely on the road that lies ahead. Beatsmith and hookman Mike Irish keeps it slow-burning and ambient on the production tip, layering nocturnal synths over a sedate 4/8 percussion rhythm that nonetheless suggests forward momentum, and Swift matches the instrumental’s mood with meditative yet driven rhymes, striking a balance between exultant stunting (”Fresh on the scene, crisp and clean / Spent about 200 on some brand new jeans.”) and earnest prophecies of his future greatness: “If you couldn’t tell, this is history in the making” Like what you’re hearing? Then keep it locked for one more world premiere leading up to the August 23, release of Swift’s Booth-hosted mixtape, The Low Pro.
Written by richard on 08/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Brief" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- S1 Confirms Kanye West Working on New Album, Songs Are “Feel Good” #A3CProAudio
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (10/20)
- PRhyme (Royce Da 5’9” & DJ Premier) - U Looz
- Lil Dicky ft. Michael Christmas & Rockie Fresh - Would You Believe That
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.