Dean Swift‘s first Booth feature, The Brief, found the emcee harking back to his ‘hood beginnings as he tutored a young hustler on the art of street survival. On follow-up Rearview Mirror (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), ironically enough, the Boston representative fast-forwards to his present, enjoying the fruits of his labors while keeping his gaze fixed squarely on the road that lies ahead. Beatsmith and hookman Mike Irish keeps it slow-burning and ambient on the production tip, layering nocturnal synths over a sedate 4/8 percussion rhythm that nonetheless suggests forward momentum, and Swift matches the instrumental’s mood with meditative yet driven rhymes, striking a balance between exultant stunting (”Fresh on the scene, crisp and clean / Spent about 200 on some brand new jeans.”) and earnest prophecies of his future greatness: “If you couldn’t tell, this is history in the making” Like what you’re hearing? Then keep it locked for one more world premiere leading up to the August 23, release of Swift’s Booth-hosted mixtape, The Low Pro.
Written by richard on 08/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Brief" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)