Dean Swift‘s first Booth feature, The Brief, found the emcee harking back to his ‘hood beginnings as he tutored a young hustler on the art of street survival. On follow-up Rearview Mirror (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), ironically enough, the Boston representative fast-forwards to his present, enjoying the fruits of his labors while keeping his gaze fixed squarely on the road that lies ahead. Beatsmith and hookman Mike Irish keeps it slow-burning and ambient on the production tip, layering nocturnal synths over a sedate 4/8 percussion rhythm that nonetheless suggests forward momentum, and Swift matches the instrumental’s mood with meditative yet driven rhymes, striking a balance between exultant stunting (”Fresh on the scene, crisp and clean / Spent about 200 on some brand new jeans.”) and earnest prophecies of his future greatness: “If you couldn’t tell, this is history in the making” Like what you’re hearing? Then keep it locked for one more world premiere leading up to the August 23, release of Swift’s Booth-hosted mixtape, The Low Pro.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Brief" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Smoke Weed Everyday: A 30 Song 4/20 Playlist
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.