Dean Swift‘s first Booth feature, The Brief, found the emcee harking back to his ‘hood beginnings as he tutored a young hustler on the art of street survival. On follow-up Rearview Mirror (a Booth-exclusive world premiere!), ironically enough, the Boston representative fast-forwards to his present, enjoying the fruits of his labors while keeping his gaze fixed squarely on the road that lies ahead. Beatsmith and hookman Mike Irish keeps it slow-burning and ambient on the production tip, layering nocturnal synths over a sedate 4/8 percussion rhythm that nonetheless suggests forward momentum, and Swift matches the instrumental’s mood with meditative yet driven rhymes, striking a balance between exultant stunting (”Fresh on the scene, crisp and clean / Spent about 200 on some brand new jeans.”) and earnest prophecies of his future greatness: “If you couldn’t tell, this is history in the making” Like what you’re hearing? Then keep it locked for one more world premiere leading up to the August 23, release of Swift’s Booth-hosted mixtape, The Low Pro.
Written by richard on 08/15/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Brief" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst of the Week: My Anaconda Don’t Want None, French Mondashian & More
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.