dead prez may not be fans of the free market, but they certainly know what’s marketable; seeing the enormous demand for motivational music, M-1 and stic.man have teamed up with Jersey’s Avery Storm to supply it. Refuse to Lose is a little different from your usual soundtrack-to-the-grind record, though—for one thing, it’s refreshingly down-to-earth. In keeping with their populist leanings, the brothers depart from the motivational-jam formula (brushing off haters, stacking cash…) to tackle topics like parenthood and the importance of keeping stress under control. As the brothers mix revolutionary rhetoric with practical wisdom, DJ Green Lantern delivers a synth-driven instrumental that hits just as hard as his Booth-acclaimed boardwork on Stimulus Plan and Gangster, Gangsta. Topped off by Storm’s catchy hook and bridge vocals, as well as a sample from the legendary Chuck D (taken from PE’s Welcome to the Terrordome), this choice cut is sure to get listeners buzzing in anticipation of Pulse of the People‘s release this Tuesday (the 23rd). If you’re a fan, keep it locked to our frontpage in the months ahead—stic and M-1 are slated to contribute to our exclusive freestyle series.
Written by richard on 06/22/09
Submit your Rating
Krian Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stimulus Plan" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.