dead prez may not be fans of the free market, but they certainly know what’s marketable; seeing the enormous demand for motivational music, M-1 and stic.man have teamed up with Jersey’s Avery Storm to supply it. Refuse to Lose is a little different from your usual soundtrack-to-the-grind record, though—for one thing, it’s refreshingly down-to-earth. In keeping with their populist leanings, the brothers depart from the motivational-jam formula (brushing off haters, stacking cash…) to tackle topics like parenthood and the importance of keeping stress under control. As the brothers mix revolutionary rhetoric with practical wisdom, DJ Green Lantern delivers a synth-driven instrumental that hits just as hard as his Booth-acclaimed boardwork on Stimulus Plan and Gangster, Gangsta. Topped off by Storm’s catchy hook and bridge vocals, as well as a sample from the legendary Chuck D (taken from PE’s Welcome to the Terrordome), this choice cut is sure to get listeners buzzing in anticipation of Pulse of the People‘s release this Tuesday (the 23rd). If you’re a fan, keep it locked to our frontpage in the months ahead—stic and M-1 are slated to contribute to our exclusive freestyle series.
Written by richard on 06/22/09
Krian Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stimulus Plan" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- After Wiz Khalifa’s “Blacc Hollywood”, What Does a Number One Album Mean?
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)