Former revolutionaries turned revolutionary gangstas dead prez penned the definitive “I’m going to hit on you by not hitting on you” track with the 2000 release of Mind Sex (with Black Star’s Brown Skin Lady a close second), and now a decade later they’re back to their flattering ways on new mixtape leak The Beauty Within. Although released in part as a Mother’s Day tribute, Beauty Within is an ode not just to mothers, but to the beauty of natural black women everywhere. Essentially a freestyle over the Smeezingtons’ uber-smash beat for B.o.B.’s Nothin’ on You (plus a revamped hook), Beauty finds M-1 and stic.man paying tribute to, as they put it, “not to America’s top model, but to the natural girls right next door.” It’s undoubtedly an uplifting and worthy message, but is the music every bit as good as the message? The revolution begins yet again when dead prez’s upcoming release DJ Drama Presents: Revolutionary But Gangsta Grillz drops on June 10.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/10/10
Submit your Rating
Krian Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stimulus Plan" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Young Thug ft. Lil Wayne - Take Kare
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Logic - Buried Alive
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.