Former revolutionaries turned revolutionary gangstas dead prez penned the definitive “I’m going to hit on you by not hitting on you” track with the 2000 release of Mind Sex (with Black Star’s Brown Skin Lady a close second), and now a decade later they’re back to their flattering ways on new mixtape leak The Beauty Within. Although released in part as a Mother’s Day tribute, Beauty Within is an ode not just to mothers, but to the beauty of natural black women everywhere. Essentially a freestyle over the Smeezingtons’ uber-smash beat for B.o.B.’s Nothin’ on You (plus a revamped hook), Beauty finds M-1 and stic.man paying tribute to, as they put it, “not to America’s top model, but to the natural girls right next door.” It’s undoubtedly an uplifting and worthy message, but is the music every bit as good as the message? The revolution begins yet again when dead prez’s upcoming release DJ Drama Presents: Revolutionary But Gangsta Grillz drops on June 10.
Written by Nathan S. on 05/10/10
Submit your Rating
Krian Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Stimulus Plan" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.