Pack your bags, Booth readers, ‘cause we’re taking a nostalgia trip. Although Vocabulary Spills is a new release, hearing De La Soul spit over boardwork by the late, great J. Dilla on a track that samples Nas‘s classic It Ain’t Hard to Tell is guaranteed to transport veteran heads back in time to hip-hop’s Golden Age. The verses Dave and Posdnous deliver here should also ring a bell for fans of the veteran trio; they’re lifted directly from The Bizness, a joint off seminal debut full-length Stakes Is High. This cut’s previously-unheard James Yancey backdrop, a simple, yet effective groove driven by gritty guitar loops, imbues Dela’s confident, braggadocious bars (presented through a filter of studio distortion) with a hint of aggression not present in the self-produced original. Vocabulary will be part of the group’s Dilla-inspired mixtape, Smell The Da.I.S.Y. (Da Inner Soul of Yancy), which drops digitally next Wednesday. Fans should also watch our pages for the latest on unscheduled full-length You’re Welcome and Premiem Soul on the Rocks, the De La Soul’s forthcoming street album with DJ Premier and Pete Rock.
Written by richard on 03/23/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Mouf" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.