Pack your bags, Booth readers, ‘cause we’re taking a nostalgia trip. Although Vocabulary Spills is a new release, hearing De La Soul spit over boardwork by the late, great J. Dilla on a track that samples Nas‘s classic It Ain’t Hard to Tell is guaranteed to transport veteran heads back in time to hip-hop’s Golden Age. The verses Dave and Posdnous deliver here should also ring a bell for fans of the veteran trio; they’re lifted directly from The Bizness, a joint off seminal debut full-length Stakes Is High. This cut’s previously-unheard James Yancey backdrop, a simple, yet effective groove driven by gritty guitar loops, imbues Dela’s confident, braggadocious bars (presented through a filter of studio distortion) with a hint of aggression not present in the self-produced original. Vocabulary will be part of the group’s Dilla-inspired mixtape, Smell The Da.I.S.Y. (Da Inner Soul of Yancy), which drops digitally next Wednesday. Fans should also watch our pages for the latest on unscheduled full-length You’re Welcome and Premiem Soul on the Rocks, the De La Soul’s forthcoming street album with DJ Premier and Pete Rock.
Written by richard on 03/23/14
Pack your bags, because it's time for a nostalgia trip. Golden Age hip-hop superstars De La Soul have dropped Smell the Da.I.S.Y. (Da Inner Soul of Yancy), a new mixtape in honor of the late, great J. Dilla. The project...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Mouf" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)