Pack your bags, Booth readers, ‘cause we’re taking a nostalgia trip. Although Vocabulary Spills is a new release, hearing De La Soul spit over boardwork by the late, great J. Dilla on a track that samples Nas‘s classic It Ain’t Hard to Tell is guaranteed to transport veteran heads back in time to hip-hop’s Golden Age. The verses Dave and Posdnous deliver here should also ring a bell for fans of the veteran trio; they’re lifted directly from The Bizness, a joint off seminal debut full-length Stakes Is High. This cut’s previously-unheard James Yancey backdrop, a simple, yet effective groove driven by gritty guitar loops, imbues Dela’s confident, braggadocious bars (presented through a filter of studio distortion) with a hint of aggression not present in the self-produced original. Vocabulary will be part of the group’s Dilla-inspired mixtape, Smell The Da.I.S.Y. (Da Inner Soul of Yancy), which drops digitally next Wednesday. Fans should also watch our pages for the latest on unscheduled full-length You’re Welcome and Premiem Soul on the Rocks, the De La Soul’s forthcoming street album with DJ Premier and Pete Rock.
Written by richard on 03/23/14
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Mouf" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.