On the intro to disc two off the Wu-Tang Clan‘s sophomore set, Wu-Tang Forever, RZA spoke out against the “weak” music gaining prominence in the hip-hop game. Since he recorded that message in the late nineties, that trend has only become more pronounced. The situation is so dire, in fact, that it’s inspired veteran crew De La Soul to cut their first single in nine years. Get Away finds group member Posdnous channeling “The Spirit of the WU” behind the mixing boards, serving up a tense, bell-sampled beat to back him, Dave and Maseo as they remind us what real MCing sounds like. This record is the lead effort off De La’s eighth studio album, You’re Welcome. Fans can, of course, keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the set’s arrival on store shelves this fall.
Written by richard on 04/18/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Mouf" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.