On the intro to disc two off the Wu-Tang Clan‘s sophomore set, Wu-Tang Forever, RZA spoke out against the “weak” music gaining prominence in the hip-hop game. Since he recorded that message in the late nineties, that trend has only become more pronounced. The situation is so dire, in fact, that it’s inspired veteran crew De La Soul to cut their first single in nine years. Get Away finds group member Posdnous channeling “The Spirit of the WU” behind the mixing boards, serving up a tense, bell-sampled beat to back him, Dave and Maseo as they remind us what real MCing sounds like. This record is the lead effort off De La’s eighth studio album, You’re Welcome. Fans can, of course, keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the set’s arrival on store shelves this fall.
Written by richard on 04/18/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Mouf" (2009)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.