On the intro to disc two off the Wu-Tang Clan‘s sophomore set, Wu-Tang Forever, RZA spoke out against the “weak” music gaining prominence in the hip-hop game. Since he recorded that message in the late nineties, that trend has only become more pronounced. The situation is so dire, in fact, that it’s inspired veteran crew De La Soul to cut their first single in nine years. Get Away finds group member Posdnous channeling “The Spirit of the WU” behind the mixing boards, serving up a tense, bell-sampled beat to back him, Dave and Maseo as they remind us what real MCing sounds like. This record is the lead effort off De La’s eighth studio album, You’re Welcome. Fans can, of course, keep it locked for more fresh tunes leading up to the set’s arrival on store shelves this fall.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Mouf" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.