With spring in full swing, there’s no better time to start that exercise regimen! If you’ve been putting off getting in shape for lack of an appropriately energetic, yet still cerebral hip-hop soundtrack for your morning jog, you’ll be happy to hear that alt-rap icons De La Soul have partnered with Nike for the latest installment of Original Run, a series of mixes specifically designed to match the pace of your average workout. Newly-released cut Big Mouf, for example, sounds like it’s meant to be played just as you’re beginning to break a sweat. The syncopated percussion and occasional sampled flourishes that back Supa Big Dave’s beat convey a feeling of mounting energy as Posdnuos, Trugoy, and Maseo spit engaging verses sure to occupy listeners’ minds as they begin to feel the burn. Good hip-hop first and workout music second, this bracing cut is an enjoyable listen even if you’re sitting still (I’m not running as I type this, after all). Even so, those looking to lose a few pounds can find plenty of motivation in Are You In? (out now on iTunes).
Listen to More: De La Soul
Written by richard on 04/30/09
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Turning Me Off" (2012)
You Might Like...
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.