With spring in full swing, there’s no better time to start that exercise regimen! If you’ve been putting off getting in shape for lack of an appropriately energetic, yet still cerebral hip-hop soundtrack for your morning jog, you’ll be happy to hear that alt-rap icons De La Soul have partnered with Nike for the latest installment of Original Run, a series of mixes specifically designed to match the pace of your average workout. Newly-released cut Big Mouf, for example, sounds like it’s meant to be played just as you’re beginning to break a sweat. The syncopated percussion and occasional sampled flourishes that back Supa Big Dave’s beat convey a feeling of mounting energy as Posdnuos, Trugoy, and Maseo spit engaging verses sure to occupy listeners’ minds as they begin to feel the burn. Good hip-hop first and workout music second, this bracing cut is an enjoyable listen even if you’re sitting still (I’m not running as I type this, after all). Even so, those looking to lose a few pounds can find plenty of motivation in Are You In? (out now on iTunes).
Written by richard on 04/30/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Turning Me Off" (2012)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.