Dawn Richard may be a lover and not a fighter, as demonstrated on her last Booth feature, Love on the Rocks, but that isn’t going to stop her from building her own ARMY. If her uptempo, hip hop-infused R&B style is received as well as it deserves to be, she should have no trouble recruiting plenty of worthy soldiers. Producer (and master of the pen?) Kev The Writer provides a low-key, clapping backdrop for each stanza, but turns up the tempo for the record’s catchy chorus. The verses are impressive as well; the Danity Kane and Dirty Money alumnus doesn’t try to do too much, laying down a clean, consistent performance all the way through. A-ten-hut!
Written by Lucas G. on 05/7/13
Submit your Rating
Our Dawn Ent./Altavoz
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Phase ft. Lil Wayne" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.