Dawn Richard may be a lover and not a fighter, as demonstrated on her last Booth feature, Love on the Rocks, but that isn’t going to stop her from building her own ARMY. If her uptempo, hip hop-infused R&B style is received as well as it deserves to be, she should have no trouble recruiting plenty of worthy soldiers. Producer (and master of the pen?) Kev The Writer provides a low-key, clapping backdrop for each stanza, but turns up the tempo for the record’s catchy chorus. The verses are impressive as well; the Danity Kane and Dirty Money alumnus doesn’t try to do too much, laying down a clean, consistent performance all the way through. A-ten-hut!
Written by Lucas G. on 05/7/13
Submit your Rating
Our Dawn Ent./Altavoz
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Phase ft. Lil Wayne" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.