Dawn Richard may be a lover and not a fighter, as demonstrated on her last Booth feature, Love on the Rocks, but that isn’t going to stop her from building her own ARMY. If her uptempo, hip hop-infused R&B style is received as well as it deserves to be, she should have no trouble recruiting plenty of worthy soldiers. Producer (and master of the pen?) Kev The Writer provides a low-key, clapping backdrop for each stanza, but turns up the tempo for the record’s catchy chorus. The verses are impressive as well; the Danity Kane and Dirty Money alumnus doesn’t try to do too much, laying down a clean, consistent performance all the way through. A-ten-hut!
Written by Lucas G. on 05/7/13
Submit your Rating
Our Dawn Ent./Altavoz
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Phase ft. Lil Wayne" (2007)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.