Booth newcomer Dawaun Parker seems to think he’s Lost in the game, but I don’t know if I’m buying it – anyone who’s got the support of the Dr. Dre on his first single is leading a charmed life in my book. Regardless, the man wears his pessimism well. On this melodramatically dark selection the Grammy-winning rapper/songwriter/beatsmith, who liner-note aficionados may remember from his co-producer credits on several tracks off Relapse, shows off the full breadth of his talents, hooking up with his Aftermath mentor to craft a lush, cinematically brooding instrumental backdrop for his own dark rhymes. And, speaking of Relapse, the rapper rivals Em at mixing up liquor-and-drug cocktails that just so happen to rhyme: “Tipsy; Hennessy, whiskey, Zoloft, ketamine, Pepsi mixed with Popov” Dope – and probably deadly! So, readers, does this banger bode well for Parker’s career? If you think so, keep it locked for all the latest on debut full-length The Decision, scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers sometime in 2011.
Written by richard on 10/20/10
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.