DaVinci‘s first Booth feature may have found the Bay Area rhymesayer replacing the “cash” in Wu-Tang‘s classic C.R.E.A.M. formula with “dope,” but don’t get it twisted; Paper is still his number-one priority, followed by Power and finally P**sy. On this freshly-released single, DaVinci recounts how he was inducted into the value system of the streets, emphasizing the ease with which a ‘hood youth coming up in the midst of the dope game can get sucked into the business. As he puts it over REL (of Drums) and Ammo‘s understated sample work, “I never chose to hustle n**ga, hustlin’ chose me..” In addition to co-producing the joint, REL doubles as director of the record’s official video, complementing the cut with candid footage of the artist at home. This soulful yet gritty selection is just one of many vivid street bangers to be found on the artist’s next opus, The MOEna Lisa LP, scheduled for release November 6.
Written by richard on 09/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.