DaVinci‘s first Booth feature may have found the Bay Area rhymesayer replacing the “cash” in Wu-Tang‘s classic C.R.E.A.M. formula with “dope,” but don’t get it twisted; Paper is still his number-one priority, followed by Power and finally P**sy. On this freshly-released single, DaVinci recounts how he was inducted into the value system of the streets, emphasizing the ease with which a ‘hood youth coming up in the midst of the dope game can get sucked into the business. As he puts it over REL (of Drums) and Ammo‘s understated sample work, “I never chose to hustle n**ga, hustlin’ chose me..” In addition to co-producing the joint, REL doubles as director of the record’s official video, complementing the cut with candid footage of the artist at home. This soulful yet gritty selection is just one of many vivid street bangers to be found on the artist’s next opus, The MOEna Lisa LP, scheduled for release November 6.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.