DaVinci‘s first Booth feature may have found the Bay Area rhymesayer replacing the “cash” in Wu-Tang‘s classic C.R.E.A.M. formula with “dope,” but don’t get it twisted; Paper is still his number-one priority, followed by Power and finally P**sy. On this freshly-released single, DaVinci recounts how he was inducted into the value system of the streets, emphasizing the ease with which a ‘hood youth coming up in the midst of the dope game can get sucked into the business. As he puts it over REL (of Drums) and Ammo‘s understated sample work, “I never chose to hustle n**ga, hustlin’ chose me..” In addition to co-producing the joint, REL doubles as director of the record’s official video, complementing the cut with candid footage of the artist at home. This soulful yet gritty selection is just one of many vivid street bangers to be found on the artist’s next opus, The MOEna Lisa LP, scheduled for release November 6.
Written by richard on 09/12/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.