DaVinci‘s first Booth feature may have found the Bay Area rhymesayer replacing the “cash” in Wu-Tang‘s classic C.R.E.A.M. formula with “dope,” but don’t get it twisted; Paper is still his number-one priority, followed by Power and finally P**sy. On this freshly-released single, DaVinci recounts how he was inducted into the value system of the streets, emphasizing the ease with which a ‘hood youth coming up in the midst of the dope game can get sucked into the business. As he puts it over REL (of Drums) and Ammo‘s understated sample work, “I never chose to hustle n**ga, hustlin’ chose me..” In addition to co-producing the joint, REL doubles as director of the record’s official video, complementing the cut with candid footage of the artist at home. This soulful yet gritty selection is just one of many vivid street bangers to be found on the artist’s next opus, The MOEna Lisa LP, scheduled for release November 6.
Written by richard on 09/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.