If Booth newcomer David Versis came up in 9th Century Scandinavia, he’d be spending his days chopping people in half with a battleaxe while decked out in a horned helmet and braids. A few hundred years later, he might have found himself sacking cities with his homies from the Mongolian-Manchurian steppe. It may seem surprising that, in 2012, he’s channeling his aggression into pummeling drum machine pads and reciting rhythmic poetry into a microphone, but I think I speak for everyone who enjoys being alive when I say that I’m happy the man found another niche. On album standout Warrior, we get a little taste of what could have been; with his own martial rhythms and grimy guitar samples thumping in the back, the T-Dot native showcases his might on the mic, chronicling his growth from a puny underdog to a warlord in the game. This brutal banger and much more can be found on Versis’ Psalms (Poetic Symphonies and Like Minded Souls) tape, released June 14, and available now via Audiomack.
Written by richard on 08/24/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.