You can call David Dallas a daydreamer, a space cadet or even an ADD sufferer, but don’t expect him to take it as an insult. If the New Zealand-bred hopeful looks like he’s Caught in a Daze, he’s simply deep in thought on how best to achieve his goal of rap supremacy – that, or he’s been chiefing up with Freddie Gibbs. On his latest single, Dallas takes a moment to kick back and do the latter, while lyrically pondering the former. Producers Fire & Ice set the proper mood for blunted introspection, chopping mellow brass samples into a lightly jazzy backdrop for the headliner’s musings on his grind to succeed stateside. On the middle, our favorite Gary, Indiana representative grabs the mic for a guest 16 packed with Swisher blunts and gritty hood talk, in the process reminding us why his flow is considered one of the finest in the today’s game. Has Dallas succeeded in elevating your mood with this laid-back jam? Then you won’t want to miss the rest of the feel-good material he’s set to display on his stateside debut full-length, The Rose Tint, coming soon via Duck Down Records.
Written by richard on 03/14/11
Dawn Raid Ent/Dirty Management/Duck Down Music, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Time" (2010)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.