You can call David Dallas a daydreamer, a space cadet or even an ADD sufferer, but don’t expect him to take it as an insult. If the New Zealand-bred hopeful looks like he’s Caught in a Daze, he’s simply deep in thought on how best to achieve his goal of rap supremacy – that, or he’s been chiefing up with Freddie Gibbs. On his latest single, Dallas takes a moment to kick back and do the latter, while lyrically pondering the former. Producers Fire & Ice set the proper mood for blunted introspection, chopping mellow brass samples into a lightly jazzy backdrop for the headliner’s musings on his grind to succeed stateside. On the middle, our favorite Gary, Indiana representative grabs the mic for a guest 16 packed with Swisher blunts and gritty hood talk, in the process reminding us why his flow is considered one of the finest in the today’s game. Has Dallas succeeded in elevating your mood with this laid-back jam? Then you won’t want to miss the rest of the feel-good material he’s set to display on his stateside debut full-length, The Rose Tint, coming soon via Duck Down Records.
Written by richard on 03/14/11
Dawn Raid Ent/Dirty Management/Duck Down Music, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Big Time" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: DMX Loses His Shit (In a Good Way), Droog Still Isn’t Nas
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 2
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.