For those not conveniently located in a hip-hop hotspot, making it to the musical Big Time often means leaving familiar surroundings behind and journeying far from home. How far? Try 8,831 miles – the distance between Auckland, New Zealand and NYC. After garnering widespread acclaim in the country of his birth, first-time featuree David Dallas decided to take a dive into the biggest pond imaginable. Such a drastic move may take a lot of adjustment, but one thing Dallas definitely doesn’t have to worry about is fitting in; on his latest single, he showcases a style deeply rooted in the Big Apple rap tradition. Over Nick ‘41’ Maclaren‘s sampled beat, a gritty blend of piano and brass, the up-and-comer tells an all-too-familiar tale of post-high school indecision: “I dunno what I wanna do or pursue / I just wanna make moves with the crew.” While the record ends with the emcee still pondering whether a college education is worth being saddled with years of debt, this joint is compelling evidence that Dallas’ decision was the right one. Those digging this reflective joint can hear more on his Something Awesome EP, due out on December 14.
Listen to More: David Dallas Written by richard
Dawn Raid Ent/Dirty Management/Duck Down Music, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Eyes on Success" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.