For those not conveniently located in a hip-hop hotspot, making it to the musical Big Time often means leaving familiar surroundings behind and journeying far from home. How far? Try 8,831 miles – the distance between Auckland, New Zealand and NYC. After garnering widespread acclaim in the country of his birth, first-time featuree David Dallas decided to take a dive into the biggest pond imaginable. Such a drastic move may take a lot of adjustment, but one thing Dallas definitely doesn’t have to worry about is fitting in; on his latest single, he showcases a style deeply rooted in the Big Apple rap tradition. Over Nick ‘41’ Maclaren‘s sampled beat, a gritty blend of piano and brass, the up-and-comer tells an all-too-familiar tale of post-high school indecision: “I dunno what I wanna do or pursue / I just wanna make moves with the crew.” While the record ends with the emcee still pondering whether a college education is worth being saddled with years of debt, this joint is compelling evidence that Dallas’ decision was the right one. Those digging this reflective joint can hear more on his Something Awesome EP, due out on December 14.
Written by richard on 12/5/10
Submit your Rating
Dawn Raid Ent/Dirty Management/Duck Down Music, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Eyes on Success" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.