For those not conveniently located in a hip-hop hotspot, making it to the musical Big Time often means leaving familiar surroundings behind and journeying far from home. How far? Try 8,831 miles – the distance between Auckland, New Zealand and NYC. After garnering widespread acclaim in the country of his birth, first-time featuree David Dallas decided to take a dive into the biggest pond imaginable. Such a drastic move may take a lot of adjustment, but one thing Dallas definitely doesn’t have to worry about is fitting in; on his latest single, he showcases a style deeply rooted in the Big Apple rap tradition. Over Nick ‘41’ Maclaren‘s sampled beat, a gritty blend of piano and brass, the up-and-comer tells an all-too-familiar tale of post-high school indecision: “I dunno what I wanna do or pursue / I just wanna make moves with the crew.” While the record ends with the emcee still pondering whether a college education is worth being saddled with years of debt, this joint is compelling evidence that Dallas’ decision was the right one. Those digging this reflective joint can hear more on his Something Awesome EP, due out on December 14.
Listen to More: David Dallas
Written by richard on 12/5/10
Dawn Raid Ent/Dirty Management/Duck Down Music, Inc.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Eyes on Success" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.