Even if Chris Paul and Dwight Howard are the talk of the league now, making a song honoring one of the most influential and popular athletes of this generation in Yao Ming is one tall order. However, Mississippi native, David Banner succeeded by gathering up fellow southern rapper 2 Chainz (formerly known as Tity Boi) and someone who knows all about making songs about ballers, Lil Wayne (remember Kobe Bryant?). In trademark fashion Banner produces the track himself and provides his southern collaborators with a true banger to rap over, layering marching band percussion over a woozy horn line. On the mic Banner contributes a solid opening verse, while Chainz and Weezy take control of the track with their flow while lacing the beat with punchlines that touch on everything from their wealth and attractive women to, well, their wealth and more women. Somewhere in China Yao Ming’s banging this out his trunk right now. Banner’s forthcoming album, The Make Believe Album has yet to be given a release date, however, keep your eyes and ears locked on The DJBooth for the latest.
Written by Dillon White on 12/14/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"9MM ft. Akon, Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2007)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.