Though Yao Ming, the larger-than-life second single off David Banner‘s Make Believe Album, received lukewarm-to-negative reviews from our readership, the Mississippi repper didn’t despair. Instead, he went right back to the drawing board to see if he couldn’t improve on the record with an official remix. While this version of the cut retains Banner’s beat, a minimal, percussion-driven affair complete with woozy horn accents and a shout-along hook, the emcee-producer makes a few modifications on the guest tip, trading time-tested original featurees Weezy and 2 Chainz for Next Big Thing candidate A$AP Rocky and crossover king Chris Brown. How do they fare? Well, Breezy rocks the mic like a natural on the front, turning in an opening 16 so effortlessly swag-drenched it’s easy to forget he’s not a rapper by trade, and Rocky ends the record on a high note, lacing the back with characteristically engaging braggadocio (Including the hilariously wholesome boast, “I pay my taxes, eat my vegetables”). Has Banner done the towering B-ball great proud with the latest incarnation of Yao Ming? Debate away! Those digging it can find this remix and much more on the artist’s Sex, Drugs & Video Games tape, due out March 20.
Written by richard on 02/5/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"9MM ft. Akon, Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.