Even if Chris Paul and Dwight Howard are the talk of the league now, making a song honoring one of the most influential and popular athletes of this generation in Yao Ming is one tall order. However, Mississippi native, David Banner succeeded by gathering up fellow southern rapper 2 Chainz (formerly known as Tity Boi) and someone who knows all about making songs about ballers, Lil Wayne (remember Kobe Bryant?). In trademark fashion Banner produces the track himself and provides his southern collaborators with a true banger to rap over, layering marching band percussion over a woozy horn line. On the mic Banner contributes a solid opening verse, while Chainz and Weezy take control of the track with their flow while lacing the beat with punchlines that touch on everything from their wealth and attractive women to, well, their wealth and more women. Somewhere in China Yao Ming’s banging this out his trunk right now. Banner’s forthcoming album, The Make Believe Album has yet to be given a release date, however, keep your eyes and ears locked on The DJBooth for the latest.
Written by Dillon White on 12/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"9MM ft. Akon, Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.