Even if Chris Paul and Dwight Howard are the talk of the league now, making a song honoring one of the most influential and popular athletes of this generation in Yao Ming is one tall order. However, Mississippi native, David Banner succeeded by gathering up fellow southern rapper 2 Chainz (formerly known as Tity Boi) and someone who knows all about making songs about ballers, Lil Wayne (remember Kobe Bryant?). In trademark fashion Banner produces the track himself and provides his southern collaborators with a true banger to rap over, layering marching band percussion over a woozy horn line. On the mic Banner contributes a solid opening verse, while Chainz and Weezy take control of the track with their flow while lacing the beat with punchlines that touch on everything from their wealth and attractive women to, well, their wealth and more women. Somewhere in China Yao Ming’s banging this out his trunk right now. Banner’s forthcoming album, The Make Believe Album has yet to be given a release date, however, keep your eyes and ears locked on The DJBooth for the latest.
Written by Dillon White on 12/14/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"9MM ft. Akon, Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.