Do you ever get the feeling there’s someone peeping in your window – a heavyweight rapper/producer, perhaps? Well, don’t look now, but it’s very possible the fella in question is none other than “David-D-D-David Banner.” Today, the Jackson native makes his return to our pages with Who’s That (The Mixtape Cut), which actually isn’t a mixtape cut at all, but rather the latest leak off Mississippi: The Album 3. After one of the most chaotic intros I’ve heard a good long while, this track settles into a marginally calmer, but still quite aggressive synth groove (courtesy of the artist himself) as Banner strikes a lyrical balance between street-oriented braggadocio and the socially-conscious rhymes he dropped on his last feature, Strange; in between insights on issues facing the African-American community, the artist works in a little dope talk and cracks wise about the well-known perils of dropping soap in prison showers. Craving more? Well, you’ve got plenty to look forward to in the months ahead – both MTA3: The Trinity Movement and 9th Wonder collabo Death of a Pop Star are set to drop “soon.” Keep it locked!
Written by richard on 06/15/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"9MM ft. Akon, Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.