There was a quote that stuck with me from Sean “Diddy” Combs’ Making the Band: “Emotions will have you broke.” I guess that philosophy comes into play when choosing tracks for an album too… although I wouldn’t have nixed this one. Mean-mugger David Banner and super-producer 9th Wonder have let a novel loose on their new offering What Did I Do?, a record that shows the rugged yet empathetic plight of a man whose main tenderoni is looking for love elsewhere. Not since Ghostface‘s Never Be the Same Again has a rapper truly captured the emotion of being unequivocally hurt by a woman, and this time around without Carl Thomas. With 9th always consistent behind the boards and Banner putting his trademark southern drawl on this great storyline, it would indeed have been Pulitzer-worthy. Unfortunately, we won’t see What Did I Do? at the awards ceremony with the rest of the tracks for the duo’s Death of a Popstar album, dropping November 9. So download this joint now, or live with the fact that eventually this song will be gone forever.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"9MM ft. Akon, Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.