Christening himself after comic book hero “The Hulk,” David Banner (AKA Levell Crump) has become a superhero of rap. Growing up in an impoverished and all-too-often racist environment in Mississippi, a young Banner started sampling on a Casio, and used music to express his thoughts on social issues. With his politically charged lyrics and memorable hooks, Banner shot to the top as a heavyweight of Southern rap. His latest single, 9MM, Is a booming and dark ode to the weapon, featuring performances from fellow powerhouses Snoop Dogg, Akon, and Lil’ Wayne. Expect to hear more from “Mr. Mississippi” soon, when his forthcoming album, The Greatest Story Ever Told drops.
Written by Beeb on 05/7/07
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"So Special" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.