David Banner may make this rap sh*t look easy, but don’t let his effortless Swag (or should that be “meta-Swag”?) fool you. For the Jackson, Mississippi representative, staying fresh and fly as he stacks paper is a full-time job—and a difficult, bloody one at that. Don’t take it from me, though. On new single Do Work, the rapper/producer delivers an account of his hustle that’ll convince anyone who thinks he’s just playin’ to reconsider. Here, the headliner does double-duty on the mic and behind the boards, layering tension-fraught synths and choral backing vocals over a shuffling percussion rhythm as he mixes straight-up aggression (“Disrespect me n*gga I’ll leave you dyin’ in some f*ckin’ woods.”) with in-your-face lyrical imagery (“Gas high like giraffe c*ck”). In between Banner’s bruising bars, Memphis buzzmaker Don Trip grabs the mic to spit about his own illicit hustle: “Hard work, but no steel-toe / Never had an honest job or a billfold.” Digging Banner’s latest single? Stay tuned—while The Make Believe Album has yet to receive a drop date, you can look forward to an official remix of Do Work next Monday, November 14.
Written by richard on 11/7/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"9MM ft. Akon, Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Ty Dolla $ign - $ign Language
- Eminem ft. Sia - Guts Over Fear
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.