David Banner may make this rap sh*t look easy, but don’t let his effortless Swag (or should that be “meta-Swag”?) fool you. For the Jackson, Mississippi representative, staying fresh and fly as he stacks paper is a full-time job—and a difficult, bloody one at that. Don’t take it from me, though. On new single Do Work, the rapper/producer delivers an account of his hustle that’ll convince anyone who thinks he’s just playin’ to reconsider. Here, the headliner does double-duty on the mic and behind the boards, layering tension-fraught synths and choral backing vocals over a shuffling percussion rhythm as he mixes straight-up aggression (“Disrespect me n*gga I’ll leave you dyin’ in some f*ckin’ woods.”) with in-your-face lyrical imagery (“Gas high like giraffe c*ck”). In between Banner’s bruising bars, Memphis buzzmaker Don Trip grabs the mic to spit about his own illicit hustle: “Hard work, but no steel-toe / Never had an honest job or a billfold.” Digging Banner’s latest single? Stay tuned—while The Make Believe Album has yet to receive a drop date, you can look forward to an official remix of Do Work next Monday, November 14.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"9MM ft. Akon, Lil' Wayne & Snoop Dogg" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.