With the sheer number of artists who have sampled and covered Bob Marley and the Wailers’ I Shot the Sheriff, the title character’s corpse must be looking like a piece of Swiss cheese right now. The latest artist to empty a magazine into that hapless lawman, Dash Speaks puts an introspective twist on the reggae classic on the inaugural song release off his forthcoming full-length, making its world premiere right here in the Booth. Here, Dash’s own slow-rolling keyboard/sample production rolls in the back as the 24-year-old Big Apple native ponders how to succeed in the game without slipping into superficiality like so many artists before him—in his own words, “What I need to be to get free from the frivolous?” In defiant verses, he brushes aside a number of the prevailing industry trends: “Motherf**k a hashtag swag, no I don’t touch that / F**k a frat rap, yeah I don’t wear no backpack. So, what is he going to do? He’s gonna do him—and f**k anyone who doesn’t like it. SOUL Purpose spitter Mazzi contributes some equally determination-drenched bars on the back. How about it, readers: are you feeling Speaks’ bold, individualistic style? Then don’t miss the rest of the quality tunes to be found on the artist’s Night on Earth LP, scheduled to hit the ‘net July 16.
Written by richard on 06/18/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.