With the sheer number of artists who have sampled and covered Bob Marley and the Wailers’ I Shot the Sheriff, the title character’s corpse must be looking like a piece of Swiss cheese right now. The latest artist to empty a magazine into that hapless lawman, Dash Speaks puts an introspective twist on the reggae classic on the inaugural song release off his forthcoming full-length, making its world premiere right here in the Booth. Here, Dash’s own slow-rolling keyboard/sample production rolls in the back as the 24-year-old Big Apple native ponders how to succeed in the game without slipping into superficiality like so many artists before him—in his own words, “What I need to be to get free from the frivolous?” In defiant verses, he brushes aside a number of the prevailing industry trends: “Motherf**k a hashtag swag, no I don’t touch that / F**k a frat rap, yeah I don’t wear no backpack. So, what is he going to do? He’s gonna do him—and f**k anyone who doesn’t like it. SOUL Purpose spitter Mazzi contributes some equally determination-drenched bars on the back. How about it, readers: are you feeling Speaks’ bold, individualistic style? Then don’t miss the rest of the quality tunes to be found on the artist’s Night on Earth LP, scheduled to hit the ‘net July 16.
Written by richard on 06/18/12
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.