With the sheer number of artists who have sampled and covered Bob Marley and the Wailers’ I Shot the Sheriff, the title character’s corpse must be looking like a piece of Swiss cheese right now. The latest artist to empty a magazine into that hapless lawman, Dash Speaks puts an introspective twist on the reggae classic on the inaugural song release off his forthcoming full-length, making its world premiere right here in the Booth. Here, Dash’s own slow-rolling keyboard/sample production rolls in the back as the 24-year-old Big Apple native ponders how to succeed in the game without slipping into superficiality like so many artists before him—in his own words, “What I need to be to get free from the frivolous?” In defiant verses, he brushes aside a number of the prevailing industry trends: “Motherf**k a hashtag swag, no I don’t touch that / F**k a frat rap, yeah I don’t wear no backpack. So, what is he going to do? He’s gonna do him—and f**k anyone who doesn’t like it. SOUL Purpose spitter Mazzi contributes some equally determination-drenched bars on the back. How about it, readers: are you feeling Speaks’ bold, individualistic style? Then don’t miss the rest of the quality tunes to be found on the artist’s Night on Earth LP, scheduled to hit the ‘net July 16.
Written by richard on 06/18/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.