Hip-hop visionaries brilliantly deconstructing rap, race and pop culture? Smart-alecky hipsters passing off referentiality as lyricism? Whichever way you slice it (I’m solidly in the “pro” camp), Brooklyn buzz group Das Racist seem to start conversations in the hip-hop blogosphere like none other; and sure enough, new single Michael Jackson will give both fans and haters plenty to talk about. Despite taking its name from the King of Pop, this absurdist banger is no straightforward tribute joint. Instead, the record finds Himanshu Suri and Victor Vazquez lacing their own shambolically booty-shaking beat with a characteristically eclectic stream of wisecracks; Heems uses Jackson’s big bucks as a springboard for a gruff chronicle of Das Racist’s paper chase, while Kool AD ventures further afield, comparing himself to Janet Jackson, DJ Khaled, a daikon radish, and Richie Valens. And, like any healthy couple, the emcees compliment each other freely, each touting the other’s rapping skills on the back. Digging it? Relax drops Sept. 13, via the crew’s own Greedhead Records, and those who haven’t already can get up to speed by downloading their Sit Down, Man mixtape for free right here in the Booth.
Written by richard on 08/3/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Speakin' in Tungs (Freestyle)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.