It’s pretty much inevitable that, when a white rapper takes on a stage name like “Darq,” it’ll raise a few eyebrows. According to the Bronx rapper who goes by that moniker, however, the rationale behind his choice is more than just skin-deep; on the inaugural leak off his new mixtape (and his first Booth feature), he fills us in on what “Darqness” means to him. Backed by Knowlege‘s buzzing synths and booming tympani, the emcee sets the record straight, spitting, “They see the skin, hear the name and go irate / The ig’nant minded make sh*t about race, but little do they know darkness defines a mindstate…” Having dealt with that elephant in the room, the rapper goes on to offer a full showcase of his mic skills, dropping verses that should convince even the most jaded listener that he’s here, he’s hungry, and he’s determined to make it. If this joint’s made a fan out of you, you’re sure to find more to like on Darq’s Risking It All Willingly street album, released last Thursday, and available now for download online.
Written by richard on 08/16/10
Submit your Rating
Too Much Entertainment
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.