It’s pretty much inevitable that, when a white rapper takes on a stage name like “Darq,” it’ll raise a few eyebrows. According to the Bronx rapper who goes by that moniker, however, the rationale behind his choice is more than just skin-deep; on the inaugural leak off his new mixtape (and his first Booth feature), he fills us in on what “Darqness” means to him. Backed by Knowlege‘s buzzing synths and booming tympani, the emcee sets the record straight, spitting, “They see the skin, hear the name and go irate / The ig’nant minded make sh*t about race, but little do they know darkness defines a mindstate…” Having dealt with that elephant in the room, the rapper goes on to offer a full showcase of his mic skills, dropping verses that should convince even the most jaded listener that he’s here, he’s hungry, and he’s determined to make it. If this joint’s made a fan out of you, you’re sure to find more to like on Darq’s Risking It All Willingly street album, released last Thursday, and available now for download online.
Written by richard on 08/16/10
Too Much Entertainment
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.