It should give you an idea of big Dark Time Sunshine are doing it that they had to make up a new word to describe themselves; as the Washington-bred, Chicago-residing duo put it on their latest single and DJBooth debut, they’re downright Overlordian. Zavala‘s catchy, NES-style production is more chipper than you’d expect from an underground jam featuring bars as abstract and anti-consumerist as those delivered by Rhymesayers spitter Onry Ozzborn and Twin Cities-repping guest P.O.S. deliver here, but I’ll be damned if the combination doesn’t work. The fractured yet ear-pleasing result leaves no doubt as to why Aesop Rock chose the group to accompany him on his currently-running, 42-city tour. Fans can hear more on DTS’ critically-acclaimed Anx LP, available on iTunes as of July 24.
Written by richard on 08/23/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- KIDD - Whipped Cream
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.