It should give you an idea of big Dark Time Sunshine are doing it that they had to make up a new word to describe themselves; as the Washington-bred, Chicago-residing duo put it on their latest single and DJBooth debut, they’re downright Overlordian. Zavala‘s catchy, NES-style production is more chipper than you’d expect from an underground jam featuring bars as abstract and anti-consumerist as those delivered by Rhymesayers spitter Onry Ozzborn and Twin Cities-repping guest P.O.S. deliver here, but I’ll be damned if the combination doesn’t work. The fractured yet ear-pleasing result leaves no doubt as to why Aesop Rock chose the group to accompany him on his currently-running, 42-city tour. Fans can hear more on DTS’ critically-acclaimed Anx LP, available on iTunes as of July 24.
Written by richard on 08/23/12
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.