With his previous two features, unreleased joints Ayo and King’s Ransom, Dao Jones has employed the trendy stratagem of leaking dope records that won’t be on his next project, thereby leading listeners to assume that what did make the cut must be downright mind-blowing. Of course, you can’t keep your audience in suspense forever. Today, the Saratoga Springs, New York native’s back with the world premiere of Mr. October, a record that will be on his forthcoming EP. This dark, autumnal jam finds the artist once again handling mic and production duties solo, crafting an alternately slow-rolling and jittery synth-percussion instrumental to back his determined reflections on the musical hustle. The overall lyrical mood is pensive and poetic, but Jones doesn’t neglect to drop a few (hilarious) wisecracks into the mix: “All you talk ‘bout is Glock, what, you got glaucoma?” Topped off with the artist’s own impressive sung vocals on the hook, Mr. October should only leave listeners more excited for Dao’s DJBooth.net-sponsored Cole King EP, arriving on our mixtape page for free streaming and download March 2.
Written by richard on 02/15/11
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- Saba, The Native Son #TopProspects
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.