Evoking both Eastern philosophy’s concept of the flow of the universe and the U.S.’ best-known market index company, Dao Jones’ stage name tells you just about all you need to know about the Booth newcomer. Or maybe it’s just the dude’s name; in any case, the Saratoga Springs, N.Y. repper does show an uncanny knack for staying centered while his stock steady rises, as exemplified in unreleased cut Ayo. Making its world premiere right here in the Booth, this laid-back joint finds the artist handling production and mic duties, hooking up with co-producer Frank Drake to craft an eminently head-noddable piano-loop instrumental as he schools us on the art of prioritizing. In conversational verses, the artist makes clear that he’s got better things to do than obsessing over his wardrobe - “I keep it classy with my clothes dude / But it comes to the point where what you own owns you” - and commits to making his dough without straying from his lyrically-focused style. Sounds like a good road-map to me; if you agree, keep it locked for one more unreleased outtake in the leadup to Jones’Booth-sponsored Cole King EP, coming soon!
Written by richard on 01/27/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"King's Ransom" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.