Much of Danny!‘s recorded output is directly concerned with the experience of being Misunderstood in the music game—in fact, the conceptual narrative underpinning his latest album is an allegory for his travails in the industry. But if you expected the Carolina emcee/producer to talk about himself on this freshly-released album standout, well, you’ve gotten it twisted yet again. Instead, this cut finds him crafting a heavily-syncopated, Chipmunk-sampled backdrop for bars detailing a doomed relationship between two acquaintances, a college boy named Rick and a recovering crack addict named Tina. He leaves first person narrative to Lil B and Blu, who lace the front and back with firsthand chronicles of miscommunication in the professional and romantic arenas. Released this past Tuesday via Okayplayer Music, Danny!‘s Payback LP is available now for digital purchase via The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 09/27/12
They say the best music comes when an artist raps about what they know, which is why Jay-Z raps about being staggeringly rich, Kanye raps about himself and Rick Ross raps about eating lobster bisque for breakfast. Considering...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Get Down" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.