Much of Danny!‘s recorded output is directly concerned with the experience of being Misunderstood in the music game—in fact, the conceptual narrative underpinning his latest album is an allegory for his travails in the industry. But if you expected the Carolina emcee/producer to talk about himself on this freshly-released album standout, well, you’ve gotten it twisted yet again. Instead, this cut finds him crafting a heavily-syncopated, Chipmunk-sampled backdrop for bars detailing a doomed relationship between two acquaintances, a college boy named Rick and a recovering crack addict named Tina. He leaves first person narrative to Lil B and Blu, who lace the front and back with firsthand chronicles of miscommunication in the professional and romantic arenas. Released this past Tuesday via Okayplayer Music, Danny!‘s Payback LP is available now for digital purchase via The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 09/27/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Get Down" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.