Much of Danny!‘s recorded output is directly concerned with the experience of being Misunderstood in the music game—in fact, the conceptual narrative underpinning his latest album is an allegory for his travails in the industry. But if you expected the Carolina emcee/producer to talk about himself on this freshly-released album standout, well, you’ve gotten it twisted yet again. Instead, this cut finds him crafting a heavily-syncopated, Chipmunk-sampled backdrop for bars detailing a doomed relationship between two acquaintances, a college boy named Rick and a recovering crack addict named Tina. He leaves first person narrative to Lil B and Blu, who lace the front and back with firsthand chronicles of miscommunication in the professional and romantic arenas. Released this past Tuesday via Okayplayer Music, Danny!‘s Payback LP is available now for digital purchase via The DJBooth.
Written by richard on 09/27/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Get Down" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.