New to the Booth but definitely not to the underground scene (he’s got four-going-on-five studio albums and three instrumental full-lengths under his belt), Danny! Swain is introducing himself to readers with a track as attention-grabbing as the exclamation point at the end of his first name. Get Down is pretty much as catchy as it gets, from the South Carolina-bred emcee’s intricately-rhymed, pop-reference-packed bars (“It’s the return of rap’s Mr. Burns, comin’ back with a track for black kids to learn…”) to ATL beatsmith Alex Goose‘s compulsively head-nodding boardwork, driven by an addictive, syncopated piano riff (whoever tells me what’s being sampled wins… um… my undying gratitude). Be sure and listen till the very end for… an unexplained meow? Maybe it’s a cameo from Rapcat. In any case, those digging this left-of-center banger should keep it locked to DJBooth.net for all the latest on Danny Swain and Goose’s Where Is Danny? LP, which has yet to receive a solid release date from the Definitive Jux brass.
Written by richard on 11/17/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Dont Wanna Hear That Sh*t" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 1 Listen Album Review: Drake’s “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.