New to the Booth but definitely not to the underground scene (he’s got four-going-on-five studio albums and three instrumental full-lengths under his belt), Danny! Swain is introducing himself to readers with a track as attention-grabbing as the exclamation point at the end of his first name. Get Down is pretty much as catchy as it gets, from the South Carolina-bred emcee’s intricately-rhymed, pop-reference-packed bars (“It’s the return of rap’s Mr. Burns, comin’ back with a track for black kids to learn…”) to ATL beatsmith Alex Goose‘s compulsively head-nodding boardwork, driven by an addictive, syncopated piano riff (whoever tells me what’s being sampled wins… um… my undying gratitude). Be sure and listen till the very end for… an unexplained meow? Maybe it’s a cameo from Rapcat. In any case, those digging this left-of-center banger should keep it locked to DJBooth.net for all the latest on Danny Swain and Goose’s Where Is Danny? LP, which has yet to receive a solid release date from the Definitive Jux brass.
Written by richard on 11/17/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"I Dont Wanna Hear That Sh*t" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.