Danny Brown‘s latest single, Side B, is a Dope Song in more than one sense: in addition to being a quality jam in general, Side B deals specifically with the Motown phenom’s experiences as a cornerboy. Rather than glorifying the hustle, however, he takes the opportunity to close the book on that chapter of his life. Over Rustie‘s production, a minimal synth arrangement with a majestic, sampled chorus, Brown indicts emcees (himself included) for dwelling on a period of their lives that’s long been over: “I’m sick of all these n**gas and their ten year old stories / You ain’t doin’ that no more, n**ga lying to the shawty.” In addition to handling production, Rustie steps out from behind the boards to direct the official visuals. For more dope songs (of both varieties), cop Danny Brown’s Old LP, released in October via Fools Gold Records.
Written by richard on 01/17/14
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Guitar Solo" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 2014, The Year I Learned to Say Fuck the Police
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.