First things first: no, Booth newcomer Danny Brown hasn’t done the unthinkable and released the first rap record entirely composed of guitar noodling. Not even Weezy is that crazy. (And if that is what you were hoping for… I think you’re at the wrong site. Try this, maybe?) In actuality, Guitar Solo is hip-hop through and through, with rapper-producer Quelle (who recently introduced himself to the Booth with acclaimed cut The Loop) serving up some light-rock samples as the Motown underground mainstay spits about the strife-ridden lives of two archetypical inner-city characters: a hungry 14-year-old dropout with nowhere to go but deeper into the criminal life, to a young woman of the same age wondering where she’ll find support for the baby she’s carrying. Will they beat the odds and make it out of the ‘hood? As Brown succinctly puts it, “I really don’t know.” Digging this dark, thought-provoking cut? In addition to grabbing a copy of The Hybrid (out now online), you can check out this record’s official video here.
Listen to More: Danny Brown Written by richard
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ray Ban Vision (Remix)" (2011)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.