First things first: no, Booth newcomer Danny Brown hasn’t done the unthinkable and released the first rap record entirely composed of guitar noodling. Not even Weezy is that crazy. (And if that is what you were hoping for… I think you’re at the wrong site. Try this, maybe?) In actuality, Guitar Solo is hip-hop through and through, with rapper-producer Quelle (who recently introduced himself to the Booth with acclaimed cut The Loop) serving up some light-rock samples as the Motown underground mainstay spits about the strife-ridden lives of two archetypical inner-city characters: a hungry 14-year-old dropout with nowhere to go but deeper into the criminal life, to a young woman of the same age wondering where she’ll find support for the baby she’s carrying. Will they beat the odds and make it out of the ‘hood? As Brown succinctly puts it, “I really don’t know.” Digging this dark, thought-provoking cut? In addition to grabbing a copy of The Hybrid (out now online), you can check out this record’s official video here.
Written by richard on 04/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ray Ban Vision (Remix)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)