First things first: no, Booth newcomer Danny Brown hasn’t done the unthinkable and released the first rap record entirely composed of guitar noodling. Not even Weezy is that crazy. (And if that is what you were hoping for… I think you’re at the wrong site. Try this, maybe?) In actuality, Guitar Solo is hip-hop through and through, with rapper-producer Quelle (who recently introduced himself to the Booth with acclaimed cut The Loop) serving up some light-rock samples as the Motown underground mainstay spits about the strife-ridden lives of two archetypical inner-city characters: a hungry 14-year-old dropout with nowhere to go but deeper into the criminal life, to a young woman of the same age wondering where she’ll find support for the baby she’s carrying. Will they beat the odds and make it out of the ‘hood? As Brown succinctly puts it, “I really don’t know.” Digging this dark, thought-provoking cut? In addition to grabbing a copy of The Hybrid (out now online), you can check out this record’s official video here.
Listen to More: Danny Brown
Written by richard on 04/7/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Ray Ban Vision (Remix)" (2011)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)