It’s a question that every philosopher, doctor, parent and, come to think of it, child had pondered: how much of what we do, the mistakes and victories, joys and pains, was pre-determined? Are we creatures of our own making, the product of our environment, or merely the inevitable result of our DNA? If that sounds like a pretty heavy topic for a rap song you’re right, but as we heard on previous feature Guitar Solo, Danny Brown is a relentlessly heavy emcee. On new album standout DNA Brown grabs an equally weighty Frank Dukes instrumental filled with somber horns and echoing percussion, opening the door for the recent Fools Gold signee to lyrically reveal the self-destructive life style that drives his rhymes: “Life I lead like Charlie Sheen and Rick James / Goin hard until there ain’t a dollar to my name.” You won’t find any Patron-fueled, happy club anthems on Brown’s new free, not-for-children album XXX, and if that sounds like exactly what you’re looking for you’ll want to click here.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Guitar Solo" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.