It’s a question that every philosopher, doctor, parent and, come to think of it, child had pondered: how much of what we do, the mistakes and victories, joys and pains, was pre-determined? Are we creatures of our own making, the product of our environment, or merely the inevitable result of our DNA? If that sounds like a pretty heavy topic for a rap song you’re right, but as we heard on previous feature Guitar Solo, Danny Brown is a relentlessly heavy emcee. On new album standout DNA Brown grabs an equally weighty Frank Dukes instrumental filled with somber horns and echoing percussion, opening the door for the recent Fools Gold signee to lyrically reveal the self-destructive life style that drives his rhymes: “Life I lead like Charlie Sheen and Rick James / Goin hard until there ain’t a dollar to my name.” You won’t find any Patron-fueled, happy club anthems on Brown’s new free, not-for-children album XXX, and if that sounds like exactly what you’re looking for you’ll want to click here.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/15/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Guitar Solo" (2011)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.