If your name’s Pimp C I’m going to expect you to rhyme about pimping, if your name’s C Murder I’m going to expect you to rhyme about murder, and if your name’s Dangerflow I’m going to expect you to, you know, flow dangerously. Thankfully the Miami crew, making their The DJBooth debut today, live up to their name and then some with new release The Crown. Producers Low Key and Miami Beat Wave (whom we know well) build a cinematically royal beat on Crown that begins with a sparse piano line and by the end has climaxed into a violin battle, all backed by Dangerflow’s diverse blend of live instrumentation. Vocally the group flip Jay-Z and Kanye’s command for the world to watch their throne, instead urging listeners to get up and do everything they can to grab that crown for themselves. It’s an attitude that also pervades the title of their upcoming album, Win, Lose or Die, set to hit our collective ear drums on November 15. Until then, I think we could all afford to live a little more dangerously (musically speaking of course).
Update: Click “Listen Now” above to watch Dangerflow’s Mupalia Pictures-direct “The Crown” video.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/22/12
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.