Famously referenced by Jesus in John 10:34, Psalm 82:6 reads, “You are ‘gods’; you are all sons of the Most High.’” Booth newcomer Daetrius Craig takes the Good Book at its word on his latest single, FNTG (FromN*ggazToGods), affirming the divine nature of himself and his people. Unlike some rappers (cough, Yeezy), though, he doesn’t view himself as omnipotent. Backed by EPIKH‘s street-ready piano loops and buzzing synth-bass, he surveys the social, cultural and economic obstacles holding black America back. In the distorted closing verse, he invokes the name of Black Power icon Marcus Garvey as he pledges to “free the Gods from mental prisons.” Kennedy Rothschild provides some intense black-and-white visuals to complement his bars. For this bracing cut and much more, cop Percy Park 101 when it drops independently in the first quarter of 2014.
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: !llmind
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.