Famously referenced by Jesus in John 10:34, Psalm 82:6 reads, “You are ‘gods’; you are all sons of the Most High.’” Booth newcomer Daetrius Craig takes the Good Book at its word on his latest single, FNTG (FromN*ggazToGods), affirming the divine nature of himself and his people. Unlike some rappers (cough, Yeezy), though, he doesn’t view himself as omnipotent. Backed by EPIKH‘s street-ready piano loops and buzzing synth-bass, he surveys the social, cultural and economic obstacles holding black America back. In the distorted closing verse, he invokes the name of Black Power icon Marcus Garvey as he pledges to “free the Gods from mental prisons.” Kennedy Rothschild provides some intense black-and-white visuals to complement his bars. For this bracing cut and much more, cop Percy Park 101 when it drops independently in the first quarter of 2014.
Written by richard on 12/9/13
Submit your Rating
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.