What does it mean to be patriotic in a nation plagued by racism and inequality, where the leadership often seems more interested in exerting dominance abroad than serving the interests of the people? For once, I don’t have answer to my rhetorical question, but it’s a topic we should be pondering carefully in the lead-up to Election Day. On EP opener A Patriot’s Act, D1 grapples with the foreign-policy side of the equation; over his own moody, synth-driven production (with additional guitar by Jorge Gavidia), the Columbus, Ohio singer, songwriter and beatsmith questions the wisdom of America’s tendency to police the world, and wonders whether we haven’t betrayed our ideals in order to protect ourselves from our ostensible enemies. ( “Would you give up your rights just to feel like you’re safe?”) Has this cut piqued your interest? Then marks your calendar for the November 1, release of D1’s Political Love Story EP, a conceptual project telling the story of an American youth who joins the military after the attacks of September 11, 2001. In the meantime, fans can click here to check out the artist’s Soul Blue project, released via the Booth in March.
Written by richard on 09/12/12
Ohio singer/songwriter/producer D1 has come together with The DJBooth to bring listeners his latest street release, the Political Love Story EP. The follow-up to March's Soul Blue tape, the EP is a conceptual project telling...
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.