What does it mean to be patriotic in a nation plagued by racism and inequality, where the leadership often seems more interested in exerting dominance abroad than serving the interests of the people? For once, I don’t have answer to my rhetorical question, but it’s a topic we should be pondering carefully in the lead-up to Election Day. On EP opener A Patriot’s Act, D1 grapples with the foreign-policy side of the equation; over his own moody, synth-driven production (with additional guitar by Jorge Gavidia), the Columbus, Ohio singer, songwriter and beatsmith questions the wisdom of America’s tendency to police the world, and wonders whether we haven’t betrayed our ideals in order to protect ourselves from our ostensible enemies. ( “Would you give up your rights just to feel like you’re safe?”) Has this cut piqued your interest? Then marks your calendar for the November 1, release of D1’s Political Love Story EP, a conceptual project telling the story of an American youth who joins the military after the attacks of September 11, 2001. In the meantime, fans can click here to check out the artist’s Soul Blue project, released via the Booth in March.
Written by richard on 09/12/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.