There’s something about rainy days that sets the perfect mood for sitting back and getting lost in thought – in theory, anyway. In practice, they always seem to make me more sleepy than thoughtful. In any case, Brooklyn emcee D.Julien does find precipitation conducive to introspection, and on unreleased cut Rain City he shares those chill vibes with his listeners. A placid, flute-laced sample from King I Divine establishes a spacey ambiance as Julien lets his mind wander freely, mixing picturesque braggadocio and vivid daydreams of success with more downbeat ponderings on the loneliness and isolation that often come with the artistic grind: “Little to no communication – word to mother / It’s been a year since I last spoke to my brother.” Even if, as the freestyle series alum claims on the back end, he’s sold his soul for success in the game, he’s clearly retained his integrity and his vision – but what do you think, Booth readers? If you’re digging this subdued yet banging outtake, you’ll most definitely want to take a listen to what did make it onto D.Julien’s Ready for Tomorrow mixtape, which is set to drop “soon.”
Written by richard on 10/10/10
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Treat Me Different" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.