There’s something about rainy days that sets the perfect mood for sitting back and getting lost in thought – in theory, anyway. In practice, they always seem to make me more sleepy than thoughtful. In any case, Brooklyn emcee D.Julien does find precipitation conducive to introspection, and on unreleased cut Rain City he shares those chill vibes with his listeners. A placid, flute-laced sample from King I Divine establishes a spacey ambiance as Julien lets his mind wander freely, mixing picturesque braggadocio and vivid daydreams of success with more downbeat ponderings on the loneliness and isolation that often come with the artistic grind: “Little to no communication – word to mother / It’s been a year since I last spoke to my brother.” Even if, as the freestyle series alum claims on the back end, he’s sold his soul for success in the game, he’s clearly retained his integrity and his vision – but what do you think, Booth readers? If you’re digging this subdued yet banging outtake, you’ll most definitely want to take a listen to what did make it onto D.Julien’s Ready for Tomorrow mixtape, which is set to drop “soon.”
Written by richard on 10/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Treat Me Different" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- The Worlds Needs a Freddie Gibbs x BJ The Chicago Kid Album
- Tasha The Amazon - Can’t Control Us
- Is Madonna Working on a Secret Rap Album?
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)