There’s something about rainy days that sets the perfect mood for sitting back and getting lost in thought – in theory, anyway. In practice, they always seem to make me more sleepy than thoughtful. In any case, Brooklyn emcee D.Julien does find precipitation conducive to introspection, and on unreleased cut Rain City he shares those chill vibes with his listeners. A placid, flute-laced sample from King I Divine establishes a spacey ambiance as Julien lets his mind wander freely, mixing picturesque braggadocio and vivid daydreams of success with more downbeat ponderings on the loneliness and isolation that often come with the artistic grind: “Little to no communication – word to mother / It’s been a year since I last spoke to my brother.” Even if, as the freestyle series alum claims on the back end, he’s sold his soul for success in the game, he’s clearly retained his integrity and his vision – but what do you think, Booth readers? If you’re digging this subdued yet banging outtake, you’ll most definitely want to take a listen to what did make it onto D.Julien’s Ready for Tomorrow mixtape, which is set to drop “soon.”
Written by richard on 10/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Treat Me Different" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.