Fame is the bread and butter of today’s urban music – from current superstars to unsigned up-and-comers, if a rapper isn’t lyrically basking in the adulation he has earned (or aspires to), he’s griping about the stresses that accompany success, and the difficulty one can face in distinguishing real friends from fake. Looking to the future, rising star D. Julien does a little bit of both on new record Treat Me Different, off his ongoing The Experiment series. While the Brooklyn emcee clearly looks forward to the fast life he sees on the horizon, he cautions potential hangers-on, “You’d better stay in line/ If you want to be remembered when I get signed.” While Julien’s flow propels the cut along nicely, the real scene-stealer here is the production by Curious Beats, who, true to his name, takes the road less traveled and turns in a refreshingly unconventional beat centered around a few tuneful symphonic samples. D. Julien might be getting a little ahead of himself, but if he keeps releasing material of this caliber, the fame he clearly covets may not be far off.
Listen to More: D. Julien
Written by richard on 12/15/08
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Think About That ft. RNB" (2009)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)