As unpredictable as the DJBooth.net community can be, there are times when I can pretty much see what’s coming. Case in point: I expect D. Julien‘s latest single and third Booth feature to elicit at least a few variations on, “This isn’t Absolute Perfection, but it’s pretty damned good!”, and I have a feeling that’s just the reaction the Brooklyn emcee’s looking for; as Julien explains on the new record, he’s simply striving to “be the best [he] can be,” edging ever-closer to musical perfection through hard work and persistence. The up-and-comer’s exuberant lyricism is backed by the equally energetic production stylings of perhaps the most accurately-named beatsmith of all time; Soulful!‘s euphoric, soul-sampling instrumental had my head bobbing from bar one, and its propulsive catchiness may well help the rapper earn some of his highest reader ratings to date. If you’re digging this cut, you’ll be happy to hear that plenty more is on the way—D. Julien’s Live, Love, Learn LP, produced entirely by Soulful!, is set to drop July 1st.
Written by richard on 06/9/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Treat Me Different" (2008)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.