The Hebrew term “Ali Yah,” literally translated as “ascent,” is one of complex spiritual significance; for example, it is used to call the faithful to read the Torah at a prayer service, as well as to describe the holy act of Jewish immigration to Israel (okay, I’m done paraphrasing Wikipedia). For Seattle-based emcee and Booth newcomer D. Black, the word is much more than a catchy title for a sophomore album—the multifaceted concept says quite a bit about how he approaches hip-hop, and what he hopes to accomplish through his music. On new single Keep On Goin’, the rapper steps up the mic to uplift and inspire his people, spitting verses that, though packed with sociopolitical ponderings and down-to-Earth wisdom, are informed by his deeply-held spiritual beliefs. Vitamin D, a type of fat-soluble prohormome—sorry, I was looking at Wikipedia again—a Washington-based emcee/producer, matches Black’s thoughtful lyricism with an old-school, sample-driven beat and a reflective closing verse. If you’ve been holding out for a ‘motivational record’ that’s more than skin-deep, this is your jam, and you’re sure to find more to your liking on the rapper’s latest LP (due out Sept 5th).
Listen to More: D. Black
Written by richard on 07/1/09
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- 5 More Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.