Damn, times have changed—once largely chained to a certain image of ‘hood masculinity, hip-hop has evolved to the point where an up-and-coming rapper can walk into Starbucks wearing skinny jeans and a pink button-up, order a “half caff skinny macchiato.” and sit down to talk Sex and the City with his girl, and (almost) no one will bat an eye. Few emcees embody this shift in the zeitgeist like D-Why, whose debut single/music video, Macchiato Music (premiered earlier this week via MTVu), finds him describing his ideal woman as he strolls Venice in a spotless white sport coat (complete with pocket square). Backed by T-Minus understated keys and syncopated percussion, the up-and-coming rhymesayer paints a lyrical portrait of feminine perfection: she’s got the body of a Barbie, appreciates classic reggae, owns an Italian sports car –hell, “...even her period comes fashionably late.” If you fit that description, you should probably friend D-Why on Facebook. If you don’t, you can still keep it locked for all the latest news and tunes leading up to the release of his yet-unscheduled new mixtape, Don’t Flatter Yourself.
Written by richard on 03/7/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Animal (Unofficial Remix)" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.